My comfortable spots



A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval. Mark Twain

This is a view from the corner of our living room looking into the dining room. It has become one of my "comfortable spots" where I have settled in my new home.

 Our new home is begining to feel comfortable. It is creating spots where I and others feel comfortable.

I've had to mourn the loss of our old home this past year. After so many years of partnership in creating comfortable spots almost the entire apartment had become one vast assortment of comfortable spots. Before we left we had to repaint the walls a uniform white, which felt like washing away the character of the place. Wiping out the memories and spots that we had helped create over the span of years.


Boxes replaced comfortable spots and dull white replaced vibrant color and in the end a year ago we walked out of our home into an unseen future trusting that we'd be able to start afresh and create another special place that we call home. The last week was so uncomfortable and unsettling we actually decamped and used our hotel points to spend the last three nights in a local hotel.


So a year has passed since we left our old home and next month a year will have passed since we arrived in America. In September a year will have passed since we arrived at our new home. It was a strange experience to be without a home for 10 weeks.

My thoughts are circling around permiting myself to be comfortable in this new place. To grief what has been lost and embrace what has been gained. My old comfortbale spots are now lost forever. Dwelling in photographs and memory. My new spots are still evolving into well-known comfortable friends where I share moments of respite from a world that gnaws at the edges of my nerves.

Hope your weekend is full of comfortable spots



Comments

Popular Posts