Missing Bethany by the numbers



Christina of Sweden
 
The picture above was captured from United's flight status page today and shows the flight Bethany and our friends Jim and Terri Hale are on. It was delayed by 3 hours on one of Munich's runways for mechanical issues. Always a reassuring term for something that will then need to fly at 38,000 feet for the next 9 hours 40 minutes carrying the most priceless cargo in the world. But I digress....
 
I'm separated from Bethany by time and space right now and have been for 192 hours, 20 minutes and counting. It has been the longest we've been apart in the past 89 months.
 
I'm a "numbers" guy, in case the avalanche of statistics I just gushed at you in the last 6 lines of this Blog went un-noticed. I like the solid feel of facts, of finding comfort in "knowing" where, when and how something will happen. International travel is one of those annoying elements of life that offers excessive amounts of information, while frustrating omitting the one piece of information you would want at the time. "When is my wife going to walk through arrivals in St. Louis?"  
 
Of course compared to any other mode of travel in humanity's history a Trans-Atlantic flight in 2012 is about as easy, comfortable and safe a way of traveling as we could ever ask for, excluding safely having the ability to dematerialize and be rematerialized instantaneously. So until we have Scy/Fy-like abilities I'll have to settle for waiting for another 4 hours 31 minutes for my wife to land in DC at 6.10pm local time and then wait with baited breath to discover if she can actually get something earlier than the next United flight that leaves Dulles at 9.52pm and arrives in St. Louis at 11.18pm.
 
If that happens we will have been apart for 203 hours and 42 minutes. As I imagine it might take more than 0 seconds to walk from the airplane to arrivals let's make it a round 204 hours. Fortunately that means only 11 hours from now!
 
This is just a long winded way of saying I miss my wife, and I am  incredibly grateful for the fact that if she has to be on a trans-Atlantic flight today then she is sitting beside two amazing people that we both adore.
 
 
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts