I'm homeless?



"Let the wife make the husband glad to come home, and let him make her sorry to see him leave."
Martin Luther

I just have to smile when I read Luther and his assumptions about who comes and goes from the family home. How shocked he'd be today to realize that women leave the house in the morning and come home to their husbands! 

Bethany leaves every morning with a kiss goodbye and I usually have the chance to welcome her home from work each evening. I'm sorry to see her go, and glad to see her come home. 

The picture above is of our home. It's our little nest in the midst of the forest of folk who populate this planet. 

I've been up-loading images of both my present home and our future home on Face-book and it has been making me think of what makes a home. I was thinking of what witty quote I might start this post with and stumbled upon dear Mr Luther and his insight into what makes a marriage work. 

Bethany and I work really hard to make a home wherever we are. But since moving to America we have felt a sense that perhaps it is time to make a more permanent place that we call "home."

So we have decided to buy a house and are in the midst of having it renovated which led me to wonder in my mind as I tend to do. That if I have a "home" across the street that isn't habitably, and my present abode is a rental.... is it just where Bethany and I lay down to sleep that makes us have a home? Or is there something more sublime in the tag line "Home?"


Comments

Popular Posts