A new chapter......




This is the Newsletter I sent out ten minutes ago to all of our friends who pray for the ministry. I realize there are those who read the Blog who don’t receive the Newsletter. In short: I have a new job.

Below is the longer version of that statement! :)

My resignation from YL and a new chapter in our life

Dear Friends,

Many of you who read this Newsletter have known us for years, so I feel I should be my normal forthright self in communicating news that may come as a surprise for some of you.

As many of you know the past few years have been difficult, with many challenges in our own life and that of our family. Added to these challenges was the continuous stress that came from being away from home so much, of the heavy responsibility of fundraising both my salary and the ministry’s budget and the isolation of missionary life. Twelve years of living as a missionary had begun to take a higher toll on my health and my strength. As we sought God’s provision to meet these challenges I felt God begin to direct us towards a new chapter in our life.

This afternoon I gave my Young Life supervisors my formal resignation as the College Director of Young Life College St. Louis. It will take effect on the 17th of this month.

I have formally accepted the position as Pastor of Discipleship at the local church we have been attending for the past year. The church is called The Journey and it has a wonderful record of missional living in St. Louis.  The Journey is one church with six locations and is part of the Acts 29 network. Bethany and I are very excited about this new chapter in our life and the new opportunities and relationships it will offer us.


The next three months

I have told YL that I am willing to volunteer my time to lead the ministry team until the end of the school year; I’ll keep leading Core at our home and I’ll continue to mentor our leaders and be with our students. Much of my professional life revolved around fundraising and ministry development so with some grace on the part of our leaders and students I feel I can volunteer in a much reduced role that will still care for the essentials until YL can find a replacement or until the school year comes to an end in mid-May.

My resignation will drastically reduce the cost of ministry, but the ministry will still need to meet the needs of our direct ministry costs and the salary for our part-time Admin.  So I would like those of you who pray, pay and play on our team to continue in those essential roles until the end of the school year. By that point YL will have communicated with you how they intend to proceed.

Some of you have walked with us for 12 years, from our early days as singles doing mission separately, to our marriage and union in life and ministry, and so Bethany and I wanted to personally say thank you for all of the faithfulness, care and compassion that you have shown us in those long years of ministry.

For those of you who support the ministry financially we will be posting you a personal letter to explain the next few months and how you can help us end this chapter of our life well.

If you have questions, concerns or comments about this transition please feel free to contact me and I’d be glad to discuss this with you in more detail.

Thank you.  Thank you for your prayers, for your support, for your excitement, for your joy.  Thank you for walking alongside us in this ministry.  It is deeply felt and appreciated.

Your brother in Christ,

Robert Millar

Comments

Popular Posts